Travel Junkies. While waiting for the next round of the game to come up from the winner we were informed that they would be unable to host the series. Rather than letting the game we invented over 2-years ago die, we were asked to restart the game with Round #57! So to kickstart the next round of Photo Roulette as it returns to our site after being hosts of the first round and nineteenth round, we thought of a theme that is very appropriate for this return:
Photo Roulette has covered a lot of themes, many of which are focused on a specific photographic quality or image type. But to coincide with the round coming back to us like it was in the first round, we want to see the photo that best shows off a first time experience while traveling. Whether that is a photo from your first time out, or an experience or food you tried for the first time ever, we want to see it! In this instance, the back story of why the photo represents a "first time" is just as important as the photo, so let us know what it is about!
We realize that some travelers do not have good records of their first trip, so we want to open the entries to include all interpretations of your "first time" when traveling. First time doing what exactly? We'll accept photos of anything as long as it represents your first time trying something new!
For me, what I call the first solo trip I took on my own started the very next day after I graduated from college. I was off to explore Europe for a 4 week period before starting a summer internship and had my first taste of international travel outside of North America. It was, as they say, an eye opening experience and started my love of travel that led to the creation of Living the Dream.
The photos of the Eiffel Tower, Jungfrau Mountain in Switzerland, and Stonehenge are just a selection of some of the epic shots I got on that trip that are still my favorites to this very day.
The contest rotates through travel and/or photography blogs as such, the winner of the previous round of Travel Photo Roulette hosts the subsequent round on their own blog. The new host then chooses the next theme, a generic keyword or phrase and players submit their interpretations of the theme over the course of the week of the contest.
At the end of the week, the hosting blogger chooses their favorite photo from the submissions and displays it as the week’s winning entry. They then include direction to the new host for the next round. Readers can attempt to lobby the author toward a certain photo via comments or the #PhotoRoulette hash-tag on Twitter – the author can accept or ignore any lobby as they see fit. The game is repeated with the winner hosting the following week’s game and choosing a phrase for new photo submissions.
- One submission per blog (so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry).
- Post processing is permitted, but photo altering (ie. Photoshopping) is not.
- Abstract submissions welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase. Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they cannot understand the submission, you might not win!
- Please try and keep your images medium-sized and web-optimized (around 800px).
- If you win, keep these in mind when choosing a new theme:
- Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it is okay to say focused things such as “monuments at night” which most of us have pictures of. Phrases can be generic ‘signs’, or abstract ‘religion’.
- Abstract thoughts are appreciated, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque”, or “Overlooking Creation”. Use something that is able to be interpreted by all.
- After 1 year, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted.
- No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
- Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
- Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it.
- Most importantly, all photographs must be your own.
- One last rule, since this is a competition for travel and photography bloggers, you must have a travel/photography blog to enter. Sorry!
To enter in the Photo Roulette competition simply leave a comment below with a link to the image (whether Flickr, Picasa or your own site) so it can be uploaded to this post. Don’t forget to provide a brief description or caption for the photo so the viewers can get a little background as to what’s happening.
Check back here throughout the week to see all the entries as they come in and feel free to comment on them. The contest runs for 7 days from today, with the submission dates being April 25th to May 3rd. The winner will be announced a few days after the deadline, and they will host round #58.
Past Photo Roulette Winners and Hosts
- Nov 4–10, 2010 – Living the Dream – “Animals”
- Nov 17–24, 2010 – Skinny Backpacker - “Road Signs”
- Nov 29–Dec 6, 2010 – Dream a Little Dream - “Street Art”
- Dec 8–15, 2010 – Flashpacker HQ – “Festival”
- Dec 17–24, 2010 – Over Yonderlust – “Landmarks”
- Dec 26–Jan 2, 2011 – Don’t Ever Look Back – “Beaches”
- Jan 5–12, 2011 – ThePlanetD – “Portraits”
- Jan 15–22, 2011 – Travel with a Mate – “Motion”
- Jan 26–Feb 3, 2011 – Johnny Vagabond – “Water”
- Feb 8–15, 2011 – Ken Kaminesky – “Urban”
- Feb 21–27, 2011 – Travels of Adam - “Friday Night”
- Mar 7–13, 2011 – Itchy Feet Chronicles – “The Journey”
- Mar 19– 25, 2011 – Brendan’s Adventures – “Changing Seasons”
- Apr 4–10, 2011 - Shutterfeet – “Storytelling”
- Apr 13–21, 2011 - 10 Times One - “Piousness”
- Apr 26–May 4, 2011 – Beached Eskimo – “Learning”
- May 21–27, 2011 – Travel Junkies – “Architecture”
- Jun 1–7, 2011 – Destination World – “Transportation”
- Jun 8–15, 2011 – Living the Dream – “Paradise”
- Jun 21-28, 2011 - Vagabond Quest - “Clothes”
- Jul 4-11, 2011 – The Unframed World – “Symmetry”
- Jul 16-25, 2011 – Beached Eskimo – “Home”
- Jul 31 – Aug 7, 2011 – BackPackerBanter – “Inspiration”
- Aug 14 – 21, 2011 – WanderingTrader - “Darkness”
- Aug 28 – Sep 4, 2011 – Finding the Universe – “Tranquillity”
- Sep 12 – 19, 2011 – Fearful Adventurer – “Food”
- Sep 23 – 30, 2011 – Adventures of a GoodMan – “City”
- Oct 06 – 13, 2011 – Globe-Trekking.com - “Reflections”
- Oct 17 – 24, 2011 – Scene With A Hart - ”Framing”
- Nov 9 – 16, 2011 – Vagabond Quest - “Silhouettes”
- Nov 26 – Dec 3, 2011 – Hecktic Travels – “Music”
- Dec 11 – Dec 18, 2011 – Globetrotter Girls – “Love”
- Dec 25 – Jan 1, 2012– Man on the lam – “Humor”
- Jan 8 – Jan 15, 2012 – My Walkabout – “Winter”
- Jan 15 – Jan 22, 2012 – The Art of Slow Travel – “Blue”
- Feb 6 – 13, 2012 – Ten times One – “Depth of the Field”
- Mar 7 – 14, 2012 – Nomadbiba – “Sunshine”
- Mar 24 – 31, 2012 – Travel With Kat – “Local Character”
- Apr 10 – 16, 2012 – The Travel Bunny – “Street Scene”
- Apr 23 –30, 2012 – Adventure Crow – “Spirit of the Country”
- May 7 – 14, 2012 – Food Travel Bliss – “Evening”
- May 17 – May 24, 2012 – Matt Gibson – “Adventure”
- May 30th – June 6, 2012 – Flashpacker HQ – “Once In A Lifetime”
- July 23rd – July 30, 2012 – Skinny Backpacker – “Surreal”
- Aug 10 – 17, 2012 – 2away – “Smile”
- Aug 27 – Sept 2, 2012 – Bridges and Balloons – “Splendour of the Universe”
- Sept 8 – 15, 2012 – The GypsyNester – “What the ?!”
- Oct 22 – 29, 2012 – Runaway Juno – “Sweet”
- Nov 12 – 19, 2012 – GQ Trippin – “Play”
- Dec 15-22, 2012 – Breakaway Backpacker – “Face”
- Jan 14-21, 2013 – Fly, Icarus, Fly – “Serendipity”
- Feb 1-8, 2013 – Travel Transmissions – “Lost in Thought”
- Feb 15-22, 2013 – Wanderlusters – “The Natural World”
- Mar 17-24, 2013 - Travel Junkies - "Patterns"
- April 25-May 3rd, 2013 - Living the Dream - "Your First Time"
The following are the entries into this week's Photo Roulette! The post will be continually updated over the course of the week to add entries as they are brought in. Follow along and share on twitter with the hash-tag #PhotoRoulette to help promote the game!
Entry #1 - Getting Stamped
"Our first international trip as a couple was to Negril, Jamaica. 5 years later we decided it would be a perfect place to get married and start our life of travel together. We love Negril for many reasons, and being on the western tip of the island everyday ends with a spectacular sunset. Our photo is of our favorite sunset in a very special place to us."
Entry #2 - Road Warrior
"Our entry is a bit metaphorical because our first solo trip was more than just a few years ago...at a time when digital photography didn't exist! Hey, we're not that old, but we sure felt like it when we were reminiscing this theme! So, our entry is of an elderly woman we met in our travels in Vietnam...the lines on her face represent the many trips we have taken and will continue to take in our adventures abroad!"
Entry #3 - The GypsyNester
"Our first trip as a post-child-rearing couple coincided exactly with the official beginning our empty nest. On our son's first day of college we were getting on a plane to Sardinia. It turned out to be a trip filled with firsts. First time in Sardinia, first time on an island in the Mediterranean, first time drinking Mirto, first time on a boat in the Mediterranean, and our first time eating donkey.
The amazing experiences on that trip instilled a burning desire to keep going. To keep moving, see new places, meet new people, and absorb as much of the world as we possibly could. Not long after that we embarked on our new life as full-time traveling gypsy empty nesters, GypsyNesters!
The photo is the first thing we saw when we hit the beach in Alghero - the most amazing sand "castle" we've ever seen!"
Entry #4 - Wanderlusters
"Since leaving the UK a little over two years ago we've had many 'first times' but as the first destination on our trip and one that was filled with some many adventures, we're going to have to submit this entry of Ben about to sail down a 1km long zip line over the Costa Rican Jungle.
The image evokes a lot of memories for us both. We were newbie nomads with no clue of just how epic our forthcoming adventures would be. Ben was nervously anticipating the thrill of his first time on a zip line and I was behind the camera freaking out because I knew I was next!"
Entry #5 - Ferreting Out the Fun
"My first trip as a post-college adult also represented many other firsts: my first trip to Japan, my first time in Asia and my first travel experience with my now-husband. We'd been dating all of three months when he got an internship there for the summer and I decided to go along! Sure we faced some challenges, but it proved to be a pivotal moment in my life and the beginning of a love affair with a man and a country. While there, I sang karaoke for the first time, stepped first on my first mountain (Fuji) and ate my first Japanese food that wasn't sushi. I've been to Japan three times since that initial trip and am currently planning the next visit for this summer. I am so grateful to my husband for introducing me to such a special part of the world!"
Entry #6 - Going Nomadic
"8 years ago I went on my first trip ever, for 5 weeks, by myself, to the Balkans, carrying 75 rolls of film. At the time I thought I was the greatest photographer in the history of travel photographers. Now I look at this photo and think, "What the hell was I thinking?" and "Why am I showing people these?"
Entry #7 - Travel Destination Search
"Our photo was taken during our first trip to Portugal in February, 2012 - this is the lighthouse at Cabo da Roca, the westernmost point of continental Europe (“Aqui, onde a terra se acaba e o mar começa…(Here, where the land ends and the sea begins…)” - Luís Vaz de Camões)"
Entry #8 - A Backpackers Tale
"This is my first visit to the Colosseum, which at the time was the number #1 item on my bucket list. I shuffled out of the airport exhausted and jet lagged and made my way to the Colosseum just in time for the sunset. It became one of the most memorable parts of my trip."
Entry #9 - La Viajera
"When I was ten, my parents pulled my younger brother and I out of school and took us on a six-month camping trip through Europe. Here we are in the Alhambra, in Granada, Spain. Instead of taking tons of photos or reading all of the information plaques, my brother and I found our own way to take in the historic site -- drawing it. We sat down in the middle of the palace and pulled out some paper. The next thing we knew, there was a big group of tourists around us, watching us and snapping photos. Kids certainly have their own way of appreciating history and culture."
Entry #10 - A Cook Not Mad
"Our first trip to Budapest, we really had no expectations and fell in love with this city. The picture is of the parliament buildings with the Danube flowing in front."
Entry #11 - Got Kids Will Travel
"My dream trip was to go to Giraffe Manor in Nairobi, Kenya. This is a picture of the "first" time that we saw the giraffes stick their head in the window to greet us and get some giraffe cookies. The picture is one of my favorites because it captures how tickled my husband and daughter were to see the giraffes."
Entry #12 - Skinny Backpacker
"Arriving on the other side of the world alone, with the feeling that you have the entire world at your fingertips. New experiences and opportunities flying at you, and you're barely able to keep up. You only get one first time."
Entry #13 - Trek Snappy
"When in New Zealand just over 2 years ago we decided to 'do' the Tongariro alpine crossing. I'm sure Danielle had ideas of pristine blue lakes and Swiss chocolate box valleys but it turns out the reality was far different! We completed the walk in about 6 hours and it was the first time we had ever 'gone alpine', but one thing we learnt was how good hiking can be and also importantly how free walking is when on a tight budget! We've been hikers ever since!"
Entry #14 - Honey Trek
"First Time Hitchhiking Across An International Border"
Entry #15 - Traveling Canucks
"This was the first time we witnessed Machu Picchu after completing the Inca Trail hike. We captured this photo from the Sun Gate, just as the morning clouds evaporated and revealed the lost city for the first time."
Leave your photo from Your First Time below to enter!