Last Updated on by Jeremy
Disclaimer: Living the Dream uses demographic data, email opt-ins, display advertising, and affiliate links to operate this site. Please review our Terms and Conditions for more information. Listed prices and attraction details may have changed since our visit and initial publication.
Living the Dream is a lifestyle blog that focuses on our personal quest to live a life full of travel (while sharing practical tips and advice to help you live your own dreams as well)!
Since being founded in 2008 the site and authors have had a number of notable milestones, including:
- Jeremy founded the site in 2008 to chronicle a long-term trip he took in 2010-2011.
- Jeremy and Angie got married in 2012, and Angie joined as a contributing author for a second long-term trip they took together in 2013-2014.
- Together, Jeremy and Angie were named one of USA Today's 10Best Travel Couples in 2014.
- After returning home from their trip, they founded a local Pittsburgh blog in 2015- Discover the Burgh (now the largest blog about southwest Pennsylvania).
- In 2018 Jeremy grew both sites to the point of being able to quit his day job to become a full-time blogger.
The rest, as they say, is history.
Living the Dream has evolved a lot over the years, and now focuses on three main categories of content:
- Travel Advice – Featuring practical destination tips from our travels as well as from guest contributors.
- Now featuring over 75 countries on all seven continents!
- Blogging Tips – Sharing our secrets on how we built our blogs to receive over 200,000 page views a month (combined) and a projected six figure income for 2019.
- Lifestyle Design – Chronicling our journey to digital independence with other tips to achieve the ultimate work/life balance via blogging.
But why are we different than the rest? Well, one simple reason- we don't sugar coat things.
Travel is not always glamorous. Being on the road for over a year is challenging. The vast majority of bloggers make no money at all. Most websites close before they get any traffic. And the saver's journey to a debt free life is a marathon- not a sprint.
We don't want to be one of those fluff blogs that lead you down the wrong path simply as a means to score an affiliate sale. In fact, reading a 2,000+ word article with no actionable advice infuriates us to no end. We simply want to provide honest, practical tips from those who have been there.
To read more about each of the topical sections featured on Living the Dream, check out the following.
Travel on Living the Dream
The travel section of Living the Dream is our longest running feature and includes articles from Jeremy and Angie's travels in over 70 countries on two long-term trips plus frequent shorter vacations. In this one we also feature articles from our previous staff writers (the Morgan family, Rylei, and Kendrick) as well as guest posts from travel bloggers from around the world.
As our goal is to provide practical travel advice, our articles feature topics like the following:
- FAQ About the Everest Base Camp Trek
- How to Visit Easter Island Without Spending a Lot of Money
- How We Got a Refund on a Non-Refundable Plane Ticket
- The Top 10 Things to Do in Mauritius
- The Must Sees of Koh Phi Phi, Thailand
- …and more!
To paraphrase an old tagline from this site, we want you to be able to travel longer, cheaper, and live your dream- and our articles are structured to help with just that!
To explore all of the articles published by destination, click here. For our most recent travel articles, check out the following:
Blogging Tips on Living the Dream
In many cases, how to run a successful blog is a lesson in what not to do. In fact, we think that the following quote is an accurate representation of what most bloggers go through:
“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.” – Thomas Edison
We would know, it took Jeremy 10 years to become a full-time blogger, and a lot of that was through the trial and error process of learning what doesn't work. To help others avoid a 10 year slog, Jeremy publishes his lessons learned from his blogging journey in this series.
But there is a caveat that has to be said when reading these articles, and it is simply this: What worked for our sites may not work for you, even if your blog is virtually identical to ours. What worked for us three years ago may not work now. What may not have worked three years ago may, in fact, work now.
The two biggest takeaways we can tell you on how to run a successful blog upfront are the following:
- Test everything. Keep records of what you do, what worked and what didn't, and do not be afraid to try a test again in the future as you could be completely wrong on why something did or did not work.
- Pay for advertising. People will not find your site on their own. You have to put it in front of them. The quickest way to an audience is pay to reach them, especially on social media. How do you figure out what works the best? See #1.
Much like our travel articles, we like to take a practical approach to our articles in this series. A few of our favorite articles include the following:
- How to Start a Travel Blog, a 10,000 Word Guide
- 8 of Our Highest Earning Travel Affiliate Programs
- How Much Money Can You Expect to Make Travel Blogging
- How to Make $100,000 a Year With Your Blog (and Why It Is Difficult)
- Tailwind Review – A Novel Pinterest Strategy
- …and more!
To check out all of our blogging articles individually, click here. For our most recent blogging articles, check out the following:
- Content Strategy Made Simple – Write Blog Topics People Want to Read
- GeneratePress Review – The Last WordPress Theme You'll Ever Need
- Dear DMOs, CVBs, Businesses, and Bloggers – Quit Stealing Images
- If You Want to Monetize a Blog, You're Destined to Fail
- Is the NATJA Conference Worth it For Travel Bloggers?
As an added bonus, check out our Travel Blog Income Report where we share our monthly traffic, income, and expenses so you can get a snapshot of what is going on behind the scenes at our blogs!
Lifestyle Design on Living the Dream
The Lifestyle Design series is our newest on Living the Dream, and features our quest to achieve digital independence, debt free living (achieved in 2018), and have the ultimate work/life balance to help us live our dream life of travel.
As this series is still quite young, we are working towards publishing articles over time. A selection of our favorites published to date include the following:
- 5 of the Best Travel Credit Cards Currently in Our Wallets
- A Travel Hacking Blueprint for All Budgets
- How We Paid Off $50,000 in 33 Months with the Debt Avalanche Technique
- How to Build Your Own Push Pin Travel Map for Less than $50
For our latest lifestyle design inspired articles, check out the following:
- Financial Independence Retire Early? I'm Fine With Just Digital Freedom
- Conquest Maps Review – The Most Beautiful Travel Map in the World
- 5 of the Best Travel Rewards Credit Cards Currently in Our Wallets
- Is Bitcoin a Scam? No, But it Is a Fad That Has Already Peaked
- A Travel Hacking Blueprint for All Budgets – How to Travel for Free
Still not sure where to start? Check out our Top 20 most popular posts in 10 years of blogging for some inspiration!
Have any questions? We're always happy to help with at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Awards and Recognition
Living the Dream has received a number of features, awards, speaking slots, and accolades over the past decade-plus. A selection of our favorites include: