This week’s photo roulette winner is: Dina and Ryan from Vagabond Quest!!!! Be sure to check out Round 20 of this little game I invented last November over at their site in a few days!
Caption: “Milford Sound, New Zealand. A place on earth where its beauty makes me cry.” It almost made us cry as well. Great photo guys!
Caption: “For me – a true paradise is somewhere I can be and nothing is asked of me, and affords me the opportunity to sit and contemplate. This photo takes me back to an evening sitting and watching the sun set at the calm and demure Lake Ohrid in Macedonia where I could enjoy just existing”
It is with great excitement that I am returning as host of Photo Roulette with round 19! The last round was hosted by Destination World with the theme ‘transportation’ and my photo of jeep riding in the desert of Wadi Rum, Jordan was chosen as the best!
Not expecting to win a round of Photo Roulette anytime soon, I actually needed quite some thought as to the theme for the round. With that, this week’s theme is abstract: “Paradise” To me, paradise does not mean an exotic location or a beach, but the place that makes you the happiest. So for your photos of paradise, I want to see your favorite place in the world. A place that you could return to time and time again, or even live at if the cards fell in to place. Let everyone know why it is your paradise in the caption as well!
My paradise is Thailand. I think it would be hard for other places to come close to the combination of price, food, and scenery. Couple that with the fact that Angie and I got engaged there and I spent more time there than any other country outside the US, and you’ll see why I love it. This photo is one of my favorite views in Chiang Mai, the place I think I could live at one day if Angie ever agrees.
Please try to get as many people as possible involved by sharing this page by using the Facebook, StumbleUpon, and Twitter buttons at the top of this post.
Photo Roulette Winners and Hosts
The following is a list of the previously played rounds of the game and the hosting blogger for each. This list also doubles as a winner’s table as each topic host won the preceding round! Click the host’s link to go directly to that entry to see some stunning photographs from the chosen term/phrase!
As you can see, we’ve made it to round 19 without a repeat, so the game has gone quite spectacularly!
1. Nov 4–10, 2010 Living the Dream – “Animals”
2. Nov 17–24, 2010 Skinny Backpacker – “Road Signs”
3. Nov 29–Dec 6, 2010 Dream a Little Dream – “Street Art”
4. Dec 8–Dec 15, 2010 Flashpacker HQ – “Festival”
5. Dec 17–Dec 24, 2010 Over Yonderlust – “Landmarks”
6. Dec 26–Jan 2, 2011 Don’t Ever Look Back – “Beaches”
7. Jan 5–Jan 12, 2011 ThePlanetD – “Portraits”
8. Jan 15–Jan 22, 2011 Travel with a Mate – “Motion”
9. Jan 26–Feb 3, 2011 Johnny Vagabond – “Water”
10. Feb 8–Feb 15, 2011 Ken Kaminesky – “Urban”
11. Feb 21–Feb 27, 2011 Travels of Adam – “Friday Night”
12. Mar 7 – Mar 13, 2011 Itchy Feet Chronicles – “The Journey”
13. Mar 19 – Mar 25, 2011 Brendan’s Adventures – “Changing Seasons”
14. Apr 4 – Apr 10, 2011 Shutterfeet – “Storytelling”
15. Apr 13- Apr 21, 2011 10timesOne – “Piousness”
16. Apr 26 – May 4, 2011 Beached Eskimo – “Learning”
17. May 21 – May 27, 2011 Travel Junkies – “Architecture”
18. June 1- June 7, 2011
Destination World – “Transportation”
Extra Criteria to Keep in Mind When Submitting a Photo:
- One submission per Blog (so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry).
- There has been much debate in the previous rounds as to “photoshopping.” As each round host can choose the level of edits they will allow, I will say that I want all submissions to look natural, and interpret that as you see fit.
- Abstract submissions welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase. Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they cannot understand the submission, you might not win!
- Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it is ok to say focused things such as “monuments at night” in which most of us have pictures of.
- Abstract thoughts are appreciated, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque”, but “Overlooking Creation” is able to be interpreted by all.
- No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
- After a sufficient period of time, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted.
- Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
- Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it.
- Most importantly, ALL PHOTOS MUST BE YOUR OWN.
To Submit An Image
Entries for Round 19 are as follows:
Entry #1: Katherina from 100 Miles of Highway – My happiness is where the mountains touch the ocean in Taganana, Tenerife (Canary Islands), which is my home.
Entry #3: Wandering Trader – This is a sunset while I was driving home from the beach on my vacation in Uruguay. This to me is what most people think of paradise; beach, palm trees, and gorgeous sunsets.
Entry #7: Dina and Ryan from Vagabond Quest – Milford Sound, New Zealand. A place on earth where its beauty makes me cry.
Entry #8: Scientika - “Like all other commentators, I love the ocean and mountains too, but my absolute favorite place in the whole wide world would have to be San Francisco. San Francisco is the most awesome place to live I can imagine: it has a very happening art and music scene, lots of liberal, fun-loving and proactive people, and thousands of fantastic restaurants serving cuisines from all over the world.”
Entry #9: Elle from Elle Swim – “My paradise is a stunning secret garden located on the island of Roatan in Honduras. The charming hideaway is the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of the streets.”
Entry #11: Claire from Beached Eskimo - “For me – a true paradise is somewhere I can be and nothing is asked of me, and affords me the opportunity to sit and contemplate. This photo takes me back to an evening sitting and watching the sun set at the calm and demure Lake Ohrid in Macedonia where I could enjoy just existing”
Entry #16: Manyu from Shutter Feet - “My first thought when I walked along the beautiful white sand beaches of Cape Cod was ” This is paradise”. Of course, Cape Cod can be commercial and touristy, but if you go before the season starts, you are bound to find your own sliver of heaven. Throw in a beautiful sunset so that you can enjoy the little things in life and I am a happy man!”