The winner of this week’s photo roulette was such a tough choice that Angie picked the winner! Not surprisingly, she picked the same photo that I was leaning towards because we truly are the same person. Our method of choosing for this contest ended up coinciding as the place we could most see ourselves being. Of course everyone submitted photos from our top destination list, so we had to go a bit further in choice.
This week’s photo roulette winner is: Dina and Ryan from Vagabond Quest!!!! Be sure to check out Round 20 of this little game I invented last November over at their site in a few days!
Caption: “Milford Sound, New Zealand. A place on earth where its beauty makes me cry.” It almost made us cry as well. Great photo guys!
It is with great excitement that I am returning as host of Photo Roulette with round 19! The last round was hosted by Destination World with the theme ‘transportation’ and my photo of jeep riding in the desert of Wadi Rum, Jordan was chosen as the best!
Not expecting to win a round of Photo Roulette anytime soon, I actually needed quite some thought as to the theme for the round. With that, this week’s theme is abstract: “Paradise” To me, paradise does not mean an exotic location or a beach, but the place that makes you the happiest. So for your photos of paradise, I want to see your favorite place in the world. A place that you could return to time and time again, or even live at if the cards fell in to place. Let everyone know why it is your paradise in the caption as well!
My paradise is Thailand. I think it would be hard for other places to come close to the combination of price, food, and scenery. Couple that with the fact that Angie and I got engaged there and I spent more time there than any other country outside the US, and you’ll see why I love it.
Join our weekly newsletter to stay up-to-date with our newest posts!
Please try to get as many people as possible involved by sharing this page by using the Facebook, StumbleUpon, and Twitter buttons at the top of this post.
Although I suspect that everyone knows the rules of Photo Roulette now by round 19, I’ll post them again for anyone new to the game.
Traveling Soon? Find a Hotel Deal Today!
Looking for a dorm? Check out prices on HostelWorld as well!
The rules are simple. The hosting blogger is the chosen winner of the previous week’s (7 days) game. The new host chooses a generic keyword or phrase that other travelers submit photos to during the course of the week. Phrases can be as generic as ‘signs’ all the way to abstract thoughts like ‘religion’ and everything in between. At the end of the week, the hosting blogger chooses their favorite photo that fits the chosen phrase and moves it to the top of the post as the winning entry with direction to the new host’s site for the next round.
Readers can attempt to sway the author into picking a certain photo via comments, but the author can ignore comments as they see fit. The game is repeated with the winner hosting the following week’s game and choosing a phrase for new photo submissions.
Photo Roulette Winners and Hosts
The following is a list of the previously played rounds of the game and the hosting blogger for each. This list also doubles as a winner’s table as each topic host won the preceding round! Click the host’s link to go directly to that entry to see some stunning photographs from the chosen term/phrase!
As you can see, we’ve made it to round 19 without a repeat, so the game has gone quite spectacularly!
Traveling Soon? Pick Up Travel Insurance Today!
1. Nov 4–10, 2010 Living the Dream – “Animals”
2. Nov 17–24, 2010 Skinny Backpacker – “Road Signs”
3. Nov 29–Dec 6, 2010 Dream a Little Dream – “Street Art”
4. Dec 8–Dec 15, 2010 Flashpacker HQ – “Festival”
5. Dec 17–Dec 24, 2010 Over Yonderlust – “Landmarks”
6. Dec 26–Jan 2, 2011 Don’t Ever Look Back – “Beaches”
7. Jan 5–Jan 12, 2011 ThePlanetD – “Portraits”
8. Jan 15–Jan 22, 2011 Travel with a Mate – “Motion”
9. Jan 26–Feb 3, 2011 Johnny Vagabond – “Water”
10. Feb 8–Feb 15, 2011 Ken Kaminesky – “Urban”
11. Feb 21–Feb 27, 2011 Travels of Adam – “Friday Night”
12. Mar 7 – Mar 13, 2011 Itchy Feet Chronicles – “The Journey”
13. Mar 19 – Mar 25, 2011 Brendan’s Adventures – “Changing Seasons”
14. Apr 4 – Apr 10, 2011 Shutterfeet – “Storytelling”
15. Apr 13- Apr 21, 2011 10timesOne – “Piousness”
16. Apr 26 – May 4, 2011 Beached Eskimo – “Learning”
17. May 21 – May 27, 2011 Travel Junkies – “Architecture”
18. June 1- June 7, 2011 Destination World – “Transportation”
Extra Criteria to Keep in Mind When Submitting a Photo:
- One submission per Blog (so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry).
- There has been much debate in the previous rounds as to “photoshopping.” As each round host can choose the level of edits they will allow, I will say that I want all submissions to look natural, and interpret that as you see fit.
- Abstract submissions welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase. Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they cannot understand the submission, you might not win!
- Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it is ok to say focused things such as “monuments at night” in which most of us have pictures of.
- Abstract thoughts are appreciated, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque”, but “Overlooking Creation” is able to be interpreted by all.
- No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
- After a sufficient period of time, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted.
- Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
- Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it.
- Most importantly, ALL PHOTOS MUST BE YOUR OWN.
To Submit An Image
To enter in the Photo Roulette competition simply leave a comment below with a link to the image (whether Flickr, Picasa or your own site) and I’ll upload it to this post. Don’t forget to provide a brief description or caption for the photo so the viewers can get a little background as to what’s happening.
Check back here through the week to see all the entries as they come in – feel free to comment on them. The contest runs for 7 days, with the submission date being now until June 8th to 15th, 2011 . I’ll announce the winner on Thursday, June 16th, and he or she will host round 20.
Entries for Round 19 are as follows:
Entry #1: Katherina from 100 Miles of Highway – My happiness is where the mountains touch the ocean in Taganana, Tenerife (Canary Islands), which is my home.
Entry #2: Slice from iBackpacker Travel – I’ve got the same affinity with Thailand as you, this was a quiet beach we found with a few huts on it on an island called Koh Lipe. It’s a typical paradise photo, but to me, the warm clear sea, the sun and surroundings all point to paradise.
Entry #3: Wandering Trader – This is a sunset while I was driving home from the beach on my vacation in Uruguay. This to me is what most people think of paradise; beach, palm trees, and gorgeous sunsets.
Entry #4: Laurence from Finding the Universe – My entry for this week is a beach in New Zealand – although to be honest, I love pretty much every beach so they usually count as paradise in my mind
Entry #5: Christy and Scott from Ordinary Traveler – Two of my greatest loves are the ocean and the mountains. This photo of the Himalaya mountains represents paradise for me because in the mountains I’m immersed in nature, savoring the clean air and the beauty of the natural world. I could stare at these mountains for days. (LTD Tip- For more from the Himalayas, check out our summary of the Everest Base Camp Trek!)
Entry #7: Dina and Ryan from Vagabond Quest – Milford Sound, New Zealand. A place on earth where its beauty makes me cry.
Entry #9: Elle from Elle Swim – “My paradise is a stunning secret garden located on the island of Roatan in Honduras. The charming hideaway is the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of the streets.”
Entry #10: Juno from Runaway Juno – “Astronomy is one of the passions in my life. When I was at Jirisan (Mt.Jiri) at Korea, that was one of the most beautiful night sky I’ve ever seen in the country. Although that day I felt how people could die out of cold, the moment of taking this photo was a paradise for me. (2 hours exposure at Tokki Peak (Rabbit Peak) @ Jirisan (Mt.Jiri), Korea )”
Entry #12: Cam from Traveling Canucks – “Top of Whistler Mountain in Whistler, British Columbia, Canada While most people define the beach and tropical weather paradise, we’re in heaven in the mountains. Nothing beats a fresh snowfall and an open face of untouched powder!”
Entry #13: Suzy from Suzy Guese – “While paradise is seemingly a cliche of a beach of isolation and water a color few can define, that cliche is my paradise. Scivu beach on Sardinia’s Costa Verde is a place my mouth actually dropped upon seeing and one that doesn’t feel real to me at the same time. Someday I will return to this paradise.”
Entry #14: Rebecca from Travels at 88 MPH – “Banks Peninsula, New Zealand. The little town of Akaroa is located here and this whole region is my favorite in all of New Zealand. I get so happy just thinking of my time spent here! “
Entry #15: Dee from Dream a Little Dream – “A rainbow (almost a double rainbow!) sits over the Shambhala Music Festival in Salmo BC. This is a place I can and have been returning to time and time again for the past 10 years. Surrounded by mountains, nature, best friends, and amazing music. I would love to actually live in this magical area of BC. I get goosebumps every time we get on the road to head here. Definitely one of my most favourite spots on earth”
Entry #18: Pete from Hecktic Travels – “This was our paradise for the past 6 months: Roatán, Honduras. Just a week ago we were here. We were treated to a breathtaking sunset every night. “