As a way to build community connections in the travel universe, I thought it would be interesting to create a weekly game to encourage readership and sharing amongst sites. With that in mind, the game has to be focused on a feature that every traveler has in common. Luckily for anyone who hosts a travel blog, there is one thing that connects us more than any other: photography.
Traveling and taking photographs go hand and hand, and anyone who sees the world likely has an amazing portfolio to back it up. In an effort to expose some amazing photographs to the world, and an exposure to sites within our community, Travel Photography Roulette was born.
The rules of the game are simple. The hosting blogger is the chosen winner of the previous week’s (7 days) game. The new host chooses a generic keyword or phrase that other bloggers submit photos to during the course of the week. Phrases can be as generic as ‘signs’ all the way to abstract thoughts like ‘religion’ and everything in between.
During the week the posting author will update the submission post with the submitted pictures credited back to the authors blog and visitors can comment on which they like the best.
At the end of the week, the hosting blogger chooses their favorite photo that fits the chosen phrase and moves it to the top of the post as the winning entry with direction to the new host’s site for the next round. Readers can attempt to sway the author into picking a certain photo via comments but the author can ignore comments as they see fit. The game is repeated with the winner hosting the following week’s game and chooses a phrase for new photo submissions.
Within the post, a running list will be kept of game dates, submitting author, and submitted phrase hyper-linked back to the hosting site as shown below.
Join our weekly newsletter to stay up-to-date with our newest posts!
|Nov 4-10, 2010||Living the Dream||Animals|
As an example, the hosting author will provide a photo to start the game for the new period’s submission; however the author cannot choose themselves as a winner. Bloggers can win multiple times, but if a clear front runner comes out time and time again, a delay period between wins might want to be instituted.
To get the ball rolling, I’ve chosen the term ‘animals’ to begin, and my photo submission is below. Those interested in playing please provide a hyperlink to a photo you’d like to submit and it will get hosted on this page. When submitting an image, please provide a brief description and location of where it was taken for captioning. On November 11th (after 7 days of submissions) I will pick a winner and that author can start the next round. As this is the premiere of the game, the winner of the next round will be provided with a template that can be progressed in future rounds.
Traveling Soon? Don't Forget Trip Insurance!
So, who is ready to show off their photography skills? The best animal wins the week and bragging rights.
Extra Criteria to Keep in Mind:
1) One submission per Blog (so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry).
2) No photoshopping allowed unless specifically called for! Cropping and correction for red-eye or camera flaws are ok, however.
3) Abstract submissions welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase. Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they cannot understand the submission, you might not win!
4) Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it is ok to say focused things such as “monuments at night” in which most of us have pictures of.
6) Abstract thoughts are appreciated, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque”, but “Overlooking Creation” is able to be interpreted by all.
7) No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
8) After a sufficient period of time, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted. Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
9) Pictures from your entire portfolio is fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it.
10) Most importantly, ALL PHOTOS MUST BE YOUR OWN.
Entries for the first round are the following:
Travis from Flashpacker HQ – “A baby Japanese macaque monkey snacks at the Iwatayama Monkey Park in Kyoto Japan Be sure to visit at feeding time to see a majority of the 170 wild monkeys that live in the park”:
Gina and Joel at Konglish Adventures – “Killer death crabs at Osaka Aquarium. More formally known as Japanese Spider Crabs”:
David at Malaysia Asia – “Close up of a Proboscis monkey smiling in Sandaken, Sabah Borneo”:
Chance at Chance Alberg – “Solo traveler meets lonely dog while visiting Penang Island, Malaysia”:
Amanda at Dangerous Business – “These curious donkeys surrounded our rental car at Deer Park Heights in Queenstown, New Zealand. A few of the braver ones stuck their heads right into our laps”
Phillip –“Street cats in Cebu City, Philippines”:
As this is the first round, if anyone has specific rules that should be adopted or removed, please feel free to comment accordingly. I think I’ve covered most of the bases, but I could be wrong. Please retweet, digg, and stumble the post each week (or whatever various sharing site you prefer) to drive up submissions to make the contest more interesting!
Good luck everyone!