Well, would you look at that. Photo Roulette, the game I created many years ago, is returning home for its 90th round! Since starting Photo Roulette I’ve been really blown away with the creativity of the themes and the wide array of entries. Now, four years later, we’re quickly approaching round #100 and I couldn’t be happier.
The last round (which we won- yay!) was hosted by Travel Addicts with the theme Heritage. When I saw the theme for the round I knew that I had to submit a photo I took to honor my grandma shortly after her passing* and, much to my surprise, it won! *The full post with the images I took can be found here.
Since we just recently finished a fifteen month trip around the world, we couldn’t think of a better theme for the 90th round of Photo Roulette than this: Your Grand Adventure.
Theme – Your Grand Adventure
Just under a month ago we completed our second long-term trip, a grand adventure of 465-days that hit 38 countries on five continents. It seems only fitting that this round reflect this momentous occasion, so for round 90 of Photo Roulette we want to see what you consider “Your Grand Adventure.”
Whether you’ve been on a year long trip, been nomadic for decades, or just did a once-in-a-lifetime experience in a day trip or outing from home, we want to see it. Whatever your grandest adventure has been in all of your travels, find a great photo and share it in this week’s photo roulette!
Need some inspiration? Here are some of the highlights we had during our grand adventure!
|We had a bit of time all alone with the moai during our Easter Island visit on my birthday.|
|We made the 8-day Everest Base Camp trek without issue, despite being completely out of shape.|
|We had a surprise visit to Mauritius for 5-days on a layover, and ended up being one of the highlights from the trip.|
Travel Photo Roulette Contest Overview
The contest rotates through travel/photography blogs, so the winner of the previous round of Travel Photo Roulette hosts the subsequent round on their own blog. The new host then chooses the next theme (a generic keyword or phrase) and bloggers submit their interpretations of the theme over the course of the week of the contest.
At the end of the week, the hosting blogger chooses their favorite photo from the submissions and displays it as the week’s winning entry. They then include direction to the new host for the next round. Readers can attempt to sway the author into picking a certain photo via comments, but the author can ignore comments as they see fit. The game is repeated with the winner hosting the following week’s game and choosing a phrase for new photo submissions.
Feel free to share this post on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Trover and StumbleUpon so more people can join the contest – make sure to use the hashtag #PhotoRoulette
Travel Photo Roulette Guidelines
- One submission per blog, so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry.
- Post processing is permitted in this round.
- Abstract submissions welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase. Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they cannot understand the submission, you might not win!
- Please try and keep your images medium-sized and web-optimized.
- If you win, keep these in mind when choosing a new theme: Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it is okay to say focused things such as “monuments at night” which most of us have pictures of. Phrases can be generic ‘signs’, or abstract ‘religion’
- Abstract thoughts are appreciated, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque,” or “Overlooking Creation.” Use something that is able to be interpreted by all.
- After 1 year, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted.
- No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
- Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
- Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it.
- Most importantly, all photographs must be your own.
- One last rule, since this is a competition for travel and photography bloggers, you must have a travel/photography blog to enter. Sorry!
How to Enter Travel Photo Roulette #90
Winner – Getting Stamped!
We really loved this image from Getting Stamped as it has a lot of aspects of “a grand adventure” that we were looking for. The scenery was beautiful, the camper van is unusual, and overall sounds like a very epic time. Great photo guys!
To enter in the Photo Roulette competition simply leave a comment below with a link to the image (whether Flickr, Picasa or your own site) and we will upload it to this post. Don’t forget to provide a brief description or caption for the photo so the viewers can get a little background as to what’s happening.
Check back here through the week to see all the entries as they come in – feel free to comment on them. The contest runs for one week, from October 12th until Monday, October 20th when the submission period ends. We will announce the winner within a couple of days of October 20th, and they will host the next round.
The following are the entries into Photo Roulette Round #90:
Traveling Soon? Book Your Trip Today at:
- Flights: Skyscanner, STA Travel (under 26)
- Hotels: TripAdvisor, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Airbnb, Flipkey, HomeAway
- Car Rentals: Holiday Autos, Sixt, Hertz, Auto Europe, Park 'n Fly
- Tours: G Adventures, Contiki, Intrepid Travel
- Insurance: World Nomads, Travelex, Allianz
- Gear: Camera, Luggage, Computers
Entry #2 – Dare 2 Go – Camping in Costa Rica
Entry #3 – One Weird Globe – This forest of banyan trees germinates their seeds in the crevices and holes in the tree. A seed grows, sprouts more seeds, and the cycle begins anew. Today, it’s virtually impossible to tell where one tree starts and another tree ends. ‘Your Grand Adventure’ isn’t just one experience. It’s destination layered upon destination, experience layered upon experience, and knowledge layered upon experience. One destination or experience is fun in and of itself, but it’s not had in a vacuum. One’s life is much like this tree – continually growing, in all directions, and has plenty of twists and turns. You never know where it will end up, nor are you fully in control of the process. The good news – allow yourself to grow, let the sky be your limit, and you’ll find yourself growing in ways you wouldn’t believe.
Entry #4 – Brent’s Favorite Photos – My wife and I were lucky enough to live in Budapest for four months while I was in law school. It sparked our love of travel and has led us around the world. We spent those four months traveling all over Europe. Our last stop was in Copenhagen on Christmas day.
Entry #5 – A Glance of the Globe – Admittedly, our first few days in Nepal were not smooth sailing, with lost luggage and culture shock coloring our view of the country. Luckily, our time in Kathmandu overlapped with the Indra Jatra festival, which celebrates the end of the monsoon season. Packed onto a crowded pagoda in the pouring rain, we finally started to get a real feel for the fantastic Nepalese culture. Our personal favorite part of the festivities was this Swet Bhairab mask—it is only unveiled once a year for this festival. We saw many locals surrounding it and learned that is because the mask spits beer and fish out of its mouth! A truly unique experience that helped us cast aside our silly problems and truly enjoy what it means to travel.
Entry #6 – TravelnLass – Oh my, but I’ve had plenty of “Grand Adventures” in my 30+ years of solo skipping ’round the globe (milking yaks in Mongolia springs to mind, as does hitching a ride in the back of a pick-up with a bunch of Buddhist monks in Nepal at age 6Oh!-something). Ah but, though this pic may not look all that grandly adventurous – suffice GAMBLING in the streets of Yangon, Myanmar last year surely counts among my most memorable travel experiences. Little did I know (until later) that a simple game of BINGO (played w/ pebbles from the street) could get me tossed into a Burmese PRISON! 😉
Entry #7 – Getting Stamped – Our grand adventure came in the form of our RTW trip (still in progress). The single picture that sums up thousands of memories from our grand adventure is a shot I took while driving our hot pink camper van around New Zealand. We love traveling independently and New Zealand is still one of our favorites, even as our country count creeps close to 40. The picture show how large the world is with our colorful camper van looking tiny parked in the U-shaped grove cut by glaciers millions of years ago.
Entry #8 – Travel Addicts – One of our greatest adventures was traveling to Egypt in 2011…in the immediate wake of the January 25 Revolution. Tourists had been scared away by the instability, but we were undeterred. Laura’s mom has wanted to visit Egypt all of her life, so we took her for her 60th birthday and a trip of a lifetime. We were blessed with having all the Egyptian sites completely to ourselves.
The following is the winners table list from the past four years of photo roulette. As mentioned above, the host of each round won the previous round and continued the game with their chosen theme.
- Nov 2010 Living the Dream Animals
- Nov 2010 Skinny Backpacker Road Signs
- Nov 2010 Dream a Little Dream Street Art
- Dec 2010 Flashpacker HQ Festival
- Dec 2010 Over Yonderlust Landmarks
- Dec 2010 Don’t Ever Look Back Beaches
- Jan 2011 ThePlanetD Portraits
- Jan 2011 Travel with a Mate Motion
- Jan 2011 Johnny Vagabond Water
- Feb 2011 Ken Kaminesky Urban
- Feb 2011 Travels of Adam Friday Night
- Mar 2011 Itchy Feet Chronicles The Journey
- Mar 2011 Brendan’s Adventures Changing Seasons
- Apr 2011 Shutterfeet Storytelling
- Apr 2011 10 Times One Piousness
- Apr 2011 Beached Eskimo Learning
- May 2011 Travel Junkies Architecture
- Jun 2011 Destination World Transportation
- Jun 2011 Living the Dream Paradise
- Jun 2011 Vagabond Quest Clothes
- Jul 2011 The Unframed World Symmetry
- Jul 2011 Beached Eskimo Home
- Jul 2011 BackPackerBanter Inspiration
- Aug 2011 WanderingTrader Darkness
- Aug 2011 Finding the Universe Tranquillity
- Sep 2011 Fearful Adventurer Food
- Sep 2011 Adventures of a GoodMan City
- Oct 2011 Globe-Trekking.com Reflection
- Oct 2011 Scene With A Hart Framing
- Nov 2011 Vagabond Quest Silhouettes
- Nov 2011 Hecktic Travels Music
- Dec 2011 Globetrotter Girls Love
- Dec 2011 Man on the lam Humor
- Jan 2012 My Walkabout Winter
- Jan 2012 The Art of Slow Travel Blue
- Feb 2012 Ten times One Depth of the Field
- Not Hosted Anymore
- Mar 2012 Nomadbiba Sunshine
- Mar 2012 Travel With Kat Local Character
- Apr 2012 The Travel Bunny Street Scene
- Apr 2012 Adventure Crow Spirit of the Country
- May 2012 Food Travel Bliss Evening
- May 2012 Matt Gibson Adventure
- May 2012 Flashpacker HQ Once In A Lifetime
- Jul 2012 Skinny Backpacker Surreal
- Aug 2012 2away Smile
- Aug 2012 Bridges and Balloons Excellent Splendour of the Universe
- Sep 2012 The GypsyNester What the ?!
- Oct 2012 Runaway Juno Sweet
- Nov 2012 GQ Trippin Play
- Nov 2012 Life’s Little Victories Friendship
- Dec 2012 Breakaway Backpacker Face
- Jan 2013 Fly, Icarus, Fly Serendipity
- Feb 2013 Travel Transmissions Lost in Thought
- Feb 2013 Wanderlusters The Natural World
- Mar 2013 Travel Junkies Patterns
- Apr 2013 Living the Dream Your First Time
- May 2013 Getting Stamped The Sun Goes Down
- Jun 2013 The GypsyNester Cheesy Tourist Diversions
- Jun 2013 Boomeresque Revolution
- Jul 2013 Breakaway Backpacker Colorful
- Aug 2013 Around This World Mountains
- Aug 2013 Passports and Pamplemousse Hands at Work
- Sep 2013 TurtlesTravel Dance
- Sep 2013 Keep calm and travel The Sea
- Sep 2013 Travel Photo Discovery The Market
- Oct 2013 Am I Nearly There Yet? Travel Fails
- Oct 2013 The GypsyNester Weird Regional Foods
- Nov 2013 Sophie’s World Trees
- Nov 2013 SHOuTography Party
- Dec 2013 Adventures of a Goodman Ruin
- Dec 2013 Have Blog Will Travel Light
- Jan 2014 This World Rocks Crowds
- Jan 2014 Travel Past 50 Competition
- Feb 2014 The Working Traveller Working
- Mar 2014 Travels with Carole Umbrellas
- Apr 2014 Independent Travel Help Quirky
- Apr 2014 Quit Job Travel World Statues
- May 2014 Nomad is Beautiful People Sleeping
- May 2014 Backpack Me Mouthwatering
- Jun 2014 20 Years Hence The Face of A Nation
- Jul 2014 Two for the Road Into the Wild
- Jul 2014 TurtlesTravel Summer!
- Aug 2014 Adventures Around Asia Candid
- Aug 2014 Travel with Kevin and Ruth Hiking
- Sept 2014 Till The Money Runs Out Transport
- Sept 2014 The Crowded Planet Wild World
- Sept 2014 ZigZag On Earth The 4 Elements
- Oct 2014 Travel Addicts Heritage
- Oct 2014 Living the Dream Your Grand Adventure