We think that blogging and long-term travel go hand-in-hand. It is only fitting that those who are going off on a grand adventure around the world have a dedicated medium to share stories with friends and family back home, and a blog fills in the gaps that other outlets lack.
Our travel blogging series came about as a way for us to share our secrets in how we run our blog here at Living the Dream, and we have tailored this series to be a valuable resource to help travel bloggers succeed. Unfortunately, there are many things that we cannot feature in this series, so we have to first take a step back and talk about those.
What This Series Is, and What This Series Is Not
Blogging is a huge industry. There are thousands of websites out there purely dedicated on how to run a blog, and many do it quite well. We are not going to reinvent the wheel in our series as that would make us the same as any other site you can find in a Google search (and, as you'll learn through many of our posts below, we know when to avoid competing with the big boys).
Instead, our travel blogging series will cover three main topics:
- How to setup a professional travel blog to cover your travels.
- Social media tips and tricks we have discovered which worked for our site (and some failures just because).
- An outlet to review all of the professional organizations, programs, and events we attend in the realm of blogging.
These are three areas that we are able to contribute useful information that can either be found nowhere else or are too important to go unsaid. For everything else there is Super Star Blogging, which we will talk more about at the end of this page.
Starting a Travel Blog
When it comes to opening a blog for your long-term trip, we think there are a few critical topics you must keep in mind in order to achieve success.
The following topics are applicable for all travel bloggers, regardless of the type of blog you wish to open. However, if you are looking for a more comprehensive resource for how to start a blog (independent of your niche), we recommend checking out the previous link for our ultimate 10,000 word guide to getting started!
- How to Start a Travel Blog in 4 Simple Steps
- Don't Be a Social Media Influencer, Build a Brand That Lasts
- A Recap of 10 Years Travel Blogging – The Best is Yet To Come
- Becoming a Professional Photographer – 10 Years in Photos
- 8 of Our Highest Earning Travel Affiliate Programs
- 7 Stellar WordPress Plugins – Our Optimized List for Our Travel Blogs
- What to Do if You Receive a DMCA Copyright Infringement Notice
- How You Implement Your Keyword Research Could Sabotage Your SEO
- How Much Money Can You Really Expect to Make Travel Blogging?
- How to Make $100,000 a Year With Your Blog (and Why it is Difficult)
- How We're Applying the Skyscraper Technique to Travel Blogging
- Mediavine Review – Optimizing Our Travel Blog's CPM Revenue
- CPM Advertising – How We Optimized Ad Waterfalls on Our Travel Blog
- Our Favorite Sony a6000 Accessories to Add to You Camera
- When Considering Niche Ideas for Your Site, Don't Forget the SEO!
- How to Promote Your Blog – Everything We Do to Grow and Succeed
- Photowalk Tips – 9 Tips to Keep in Mind When Organizing Your Own
- The Rebranding Strategy We Implemented on Our Travel Blog
- When Generating Newsletter Ideas, Consider Increasing Send Frequency
- What Are the Best Lenses for Sony a6000? We Go for the Primes
- 5 Reasons Your Travel Blog Sucks (and How to Improve It)
- Travel Blogging Ideas – The Ultimate Guide to Launching a City Blog
- Travel Blogging Niches – Are City Blogs the Next Big Thing?
- Looking for Blog Marketing Tips? You Better Start Advertising
- Sony a6000 Review – Is it The Best Camera for Travel Photography?
- Where To Spend Your First $1,000 When You Start a Blog
- These Posts Won't Help You Get 100,000 Page Views Per Month
- Blogger vs WordPress – Tips for Starting Your Blog
- Picking the Right Travel Blog Name is the Hardest Part
- WordPress Migration – 6 Lessons from Migrating Blogger to WordPress
- 3 Reasons Why You Should Blog Your RTW Trip (And 5 You Shouldn't)
Success on Social Media
After building a following of nearly 40,000 travelers on social media, we wanted to take a step back and look at everything we're doing that allows our accounts to succeed. From the programs we use to get our content out there, the optimizations we've done to increase our engagement, and other random information travel bloggers will find useful, we're putting it all out there without holding anything back.
- Tailwind Pinterest Review – Unleashing a Powerful Strategy for Our Profiles
- Travel Instagram Strategies to Take Your Profile to the Next Level
- How to Get More Instagram Followers and Likes – A One-Month Test
- Facebook Marketing – Which Country Performs the Best?
- Autotweeter Pro Review – Twitter Automation Made Easy
- Twitter Chat – The Best Travel Chat Hashtags
- Instagram Travel Hashtags – Which Ones are Worth It?
Travel Blogging Organizations, Events, and Program Reviews
In our final section of this series, we wanted to share summaries of the professional organizations, events, and online programs we have tried to help improve our travel blogging business. In many cases these items are all premium services, meaning you would have an upfront payment, a yearly fee, or even have to fly to specific destination to take part. As a result, they may not be for everyone due to the monetary contribution required.
- The Biggest Lessons Learned After Installing Heatmaps on Our Sites
- Interact Quiz Review – Using Quiz Software as a Navigation Tool
- TravelCon Review – A Travel Bloggers Conference to Seriously Consider
- TravelCon vs TBEX – Which Travel Bloggers Conference to Attend?
- Copytrack Review – Great For Monitoring Copyright Violations
- Keysearch Review – 3 Ways We've Used the Service to Dominate SEO
- Superstar Blogging Review – A Comprehensive Travel Blogging Course
- Learning How to Get Brand Partnerships for Travel Bloggers
- Affiliate Marketing For Travel Bloggers – Course Review
- MailerLite vs MailChimp – Which Newsletter Service is Best?
- Performance Foundry Review – Managed WordPress Hosting is the Best
- OptinMonster Review – Increasing Our Blog Subscribe Rate with Ease
- Professional Travel Bloggers Association – Worth It For a New Blogger?
- TBEX Review – Is It Worth It For a New Travel Blogger?
Super Star Blogging
If you are interested in learning more about travel blogging past this feature, we recommend you check out the courses at Super Star Blogging. The courses here are some of the most developed training courses on the internet for travel blogging, and features an incredibly helpful community on the forums and Facebook groups which members receive access to.
Looking to start a blog? Find a domain name and grab a server on Bluehost today!
Have an existing blog that is in need of an upgrade? Check out the following services we personally use on our sites!
- Performance Foundry - Premium hosting.
- Elegant Themes - Customized site themes.
- Tailwind - Pinterest scheduling tool.
- Mailerlite - Cost effective newsletter.
- Super Star Blogging - Travel blogging course.
- Social Warfare - Social share bar.
- Keysearch - Keyword research tool for SEO.
- Interact - Quiz software for email sign-ups.
If you are looking for tips, check out our Blog Your Trip series!