We think that blogging and long-term travel go hand-in-hand. It is only fitting that those who are going off on a grand adventure around the world have a dedicated medium to share stories with friends and family back home, and a blog fills in the gaps that other outlets lack.
Our travel blogging series came about as a way for us to share our secrets in how we run our blog here at Living the Dream, and we have tailored this series to be a valuable resource to help travel bloggers succeed. Unfortunately, there are many things that we cannot feature in this series, so we have to first take a step back and talk about those.
What This Series Is, and What This Series Is Not
Blogging is a huge industry. There are thousands of websites out there purely dedicated on how to run a blog, and many do it quite well. We are not going to reinvent the wheel in our series as that would make us the same as any other site you can find in a Google search (and, as you’ll learn through many of our posts below, we know when to avoid competing with the big boys).
Instead, our travel blogging series will cover three main topics:
- How to setup a professional travel blog to cover your travels.
- Social media tips and tricks we have discovered which worked for our site (and some failures just because).
- An outlet to review all of the professional organizations, programs, and events we attend in the realm of blogging.
These are three areas that we are able to contribute useful information that can either be found nowhere else or are too important to go unsaid. For everything else there is Travel Blog Success, which we will talk more about at the end of this page.
Starting a Travel Blog
When it comes to opening a blog for your long-term trip, we think there are a few critical topics you must keep in mind in order to achieve success. These topics are applicable for all travel bloggers, regardless of the type of blog you wish to open.
- Niche Websites – A Visualization Why it Matters for SEO
- How to Promote Your Blog – Everything We Do to Grow and Succeed
- Blog Traffic – The 3 Kinds of Audiences Your Blog Can Have
- Photowalk Tips – 9 Tips to Keep in Mind When Organizing Your Own
- Newsletter Tips – 3 Reasons Why We’re Increasing Our Frequency
- Should I Start a Blog? No, Most Fail Before They Begin
- Wide Angle Prime Lenses – Which Is The Best for Traveling?
- Improve Your Travel Blog – 5 Reasons Your Site Sucks (And How to Fix It)
- Going Viral – Pray It Doesn’t Happen (Unless You’re Really Prepared for It)
- Travel Blogging Ideas – The Ultimate Guide to Launching a City Blog
- Travel Blogging Niches – Are City Blogs the Next Big Thing?
- How to Launch One of the Best Travel Blogs From Scratch
- When Blogging Professionally, Be Prepared for the Long Game
- WordPress Migration – The Results of 6 Months of Work
- Travel Blog Tips – Where To Spend Your First $1,000 On Your Site
- These Posts Won’t Help You Get 100,000 Page Views Per Month
- Blogger vs WordPress – Tips for Starting Your Blog
- Blog Names – Picking the Right Travel Blog Name is the Hardest Part
- WordPress Migration – 6 Lessons from Migrating Blogger to WordPress
- 3 Reasons Why You Should Blog Your Long-Term Trip (And 5 Reasons You Shouldn’t)
Success on Social Media
After building a following of nearly 40,000 travelers on social media, we wanted to take a step back and look at everything we’re doing that allows our accounts to succeed. From the programs we use to get our content out there, the optimizations we’ve done to increase our engagement, and other random information travel bloggers will find useful, we’re putting it all out there without holding anything back.
- The Power of Asking For What You Want
- Social Advertising – Your Facebook Ads Suck!
- Instagram Strategies – Take Your Travel Instagram Profile to the Next Level
- Gain Instagram Followers – Impressive Results from a One Month Test
- Viraltag Review – Streamlining Our Pinterest Updates
- Facebook Marketing – Which Country Performs the Best?
- Auto Tweet Your Brand – An Easy Solution for All Users
- Twitter Chat – The Best Travel Chat Hashtags
- Instagram Travel Hashtags – Are Any Worth It?
Travel Blogging Organizations, Events, and Program Reviews
In our final section of this series, we wanted to share summaries of the professional organizations, events, and online programs we have tried to help improve our travel blogging business. In many cases these items are all premium services, meaning you would have an upfront payment, a yearly fee, or even have to fly to specific destination to take part. As a result, they may not be for everyone due to the monetary contribution required.
- OptinMonster – Increasing Our Blog Subscribe Rate with Ease
- Professional Travel Bloggers Association – Worth It For a New Blogger?
- TBEX Review – Is It Worth It For a New Travel Blogger?
- Travel Blog Success Review – Is It Worth It For A New Travel Blogger?
Travel Blog Success
If you are interested in learning more about travel blogging past this feature, we recommend you check out the course Travel Blog Success, which we have been members of for many years. This website is one of the most developed training courses on the internet for travel blogging, and features an incredibly helpful community on the forums and Facebook groups which members receive access to.